Negativity, traffic, bills, working late hours. So much to spiral us downward. It’s time to get into a fun holiday spirit!
Okay…so just how can I do that, Valerie? Try these tips and let me know what works for YOU!
1. Sing, even if you think you can’t. Honestly, this DOES work, ‘cause I’ve tried it. And believe me – I’m not Carrie Underwood.
2. Spread gratitude. Thank your favorite business or client for a year of good service.
3. Go shopping. Make shopping a “we” time rather than an “I” time. Friendship and the holidays seem to go together!
4. Spice it up. Fill your home with holiday aromas. Simmer a pot of seasonal smells. Boil water with cinnamon sticks, spices, apple peels and orange rinds. Light a holiday candle. Or best of all, bake something yummy.
5. Organize an office legacy bake-off with everyone agreeing to share their recipe. Tell a story about the goodie baked and the origin of the recipe. My Thanksgiving legacy baking is my Pumpkin Bread. It came from a mother-figure to me in my 20’s. Raising three children under four was a struggle at holidays. Dorothy could be counted on to brighten my day with her pumpkin bread just out of her oven. That’s a memory I’ve continued to revive annually.
6. Do something in the community. My friend Eileen celebrates her holiday birthday by gathering friends to hand out food and turkeys. This year we were at Metrocrest center helping the underprivileged. It was certainly a feel good moment at this time of the year.